Thursday, January 4, 2018

Jesus in a glass

I don't mean to blaspheme but when I zoomed in on the glass (on my phone), I thought I could see a bearded man. Who else could it be?

This espresso stout, from Oakshire Brewing (Eugene OR), has my number: beer and espresso - no better combination in the world. This beer is all about roasted malts blended with cold brewed coffee. Roasted coffee, roasted malts - heavenly.


I like dark beers, especially when it's cold and dark outside. What could be better than something cold and dark inside? This beer is only 5.8% ABV so it's not an especially heavy beer. The oatmeal creates a slightly creamy mouthfeel but the flavors are primarily espresso and roasted malts. 

I'm almost positive we picked this up at Smitty's Food Mart & Deli in Sutherlin OR on the way home from getting our first McMenamins Passport stamp in Roseburg OR. (We were spending the night in Sutherlin.) We bought a couple bottles of beer to bring back to our room and picked, no doubt, based on hunch since we weren't familiar with most of Smitty's offerings. With "espresso" on the label, I figured, I could not go wrong with the Overcast.

I don't remember what else we selected but the Overcast ended up coming home with us and has been living a quiet, chill life in our refrigerator for about six months. We finally cracked it open last night.

Next time I come across an Overcast Espresso Stout, I won't wait so long to open it!

No comments:

Post a Comment