Thursday, August 15, 2024

Economics by the glass

 Hubby and I just had a serious exchange concerning the price of beer. Specifically, how to maximize the discounts offered by a local brewery.

One is an annual VIP Membership which will allow the purchaser to get a 20 ounce beer for the price of a pint. That's a 25% more beer. But, for a price.

That same brewery usually sells gift cards around Christmastime. Buy $100 worth of gift cards and get $120 in value, for example. That's 20% more value

We both reached the same conclusion but disagreed on the math. The point being, there was math. Not only that, we went back and forth on this issue. We argued about percentages and corrected calculations. Ultimately, we arrived at a formula that supported what we wanted in the first place. 


(Still, I'm tempted to build a spreadsheet to prove my point. Seriously, I need to build a spreadsheet.)

(Okay, I couldn't help myself. It's beautiful. Not only that, it undeniably supports our decision to go one way versus the other.)


See, kids. Math is useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment