Thursday, February 8, 2018

What cha drinkin?

...was the question posed by Kimberly @ABVGirl on Twitter on Super Bowl Sunday. I was too embarrassed to Tweet back, “Um, Coors Light.” I typed it out, then deleted it. Re-typed it with emojis to express my embarrassment or, dare I say it, shame but I didn't send it. I tried to make some sort of joke but failed there as well. I went back to watching the game and thanked my hosts for the refreshments offered.

The funny thing about beer is it’s a much more vast subject than whatever's in the pint before me. The more I learn about craft beer, the more I necessarily learn about big beer because big beer is part of craft beer’s history and vise versa. Budweiser wasn’t the first light lager but it was the first American-style lager that was successfully mass produced and distributed. And, it's won awards as has Miller, Pabst, and Coors.

Nearly 100 years after Budweiser paved the way for American-style lager, Coors helped the USDA develop the first new hop cultivar released by the USDA hop research program since the end of ProhibitionCascade, as it came to be known, has remained the number one most utilized hop variety in craft brewing since 2007. As for awards, Coors has many including Gold in 2012 and 2014 for Coors Light at the Wold Beer Cup for American-Style Lager or Light Lager.

Given a choice, I would have had something else on Super Bowl Sunday. (An offering from Final Draft Taphouse, perhaps?) As it was, I didn't have a choice but I ended up with an award-winning beer nonetheless. And you know what? It wasn't bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment