Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Try This Week: Northbank Farmhouse Pale Ale

As part of North Bank Beer Week, brewers from southwest Washington collaborated on this beer. I had my first at Ghost Runners Brewery but you can find it in multiple locations.

While I loved it, it's not for everyone. (My IPA-drinking friend didn't like it at all.) I'm new to farmhouse ales myself but am enjoying getting to know the style. If you're curious about it, too, this is a good place to start.

It's described on UnTappd as ". . . fermented on red wine barrel staves from Maryhill Winery. It's also dry hopped. You'll find it light and effervescent with notes of oak, grapes, tropical fruit and clove."

BrewDad described it as ". . . a crisp and fruity Farmhouse Pale Ale. This recipe used 100% Skagit Maltto keep to our Washington roots."

While both mention 6.8% ABV, one puts it at 43 IBU and the other puts it at 25. Whichever, it has a slight tartness balanced by fruit and spice while the oak gives it a pleasant smoothness.

Roughly 30 southwest Washington brewers came up with this brew and I think it's pretty darned good. Well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment